Important Facts About Living The Raw Lifestyle

You’ll have heard about all kinds of diets over the years, and seen them go in and out of fashion. Remember how the Atkins diet was huge at one point? How about the South Beach diet? You may think that the raw food diet is just another craze that will die out eventually, but there is a lot going for it. Here are some of the most important facts you need to know about the diet, and how you can get started.

What Is The Raw Food Diet?

As the name implies, the raw food diet is any food that hasn’t been cooked, prepared or processed in any way. That means that if you’re following it to the letter, there’s going to be a lot of raw fruit and vegetables in your diet, and possibly not a lot else. Because of this, it’s a diet that vegetarians and vegans can really get behind easily.

Those who take the raw food lifestyle to heart will eat things like raw eggs, fish, and meat, but you don’t have to do that if you don’t want to. You can still get all your nutrition from plant-based foods if you’re smart about what you buy and eat.

What Are The Raw Lifestyle Benefits?

Raw Lifestyle

First of all, those following the raw food diet notice that they lose a lot of weight on it. Obviously, this is because you’re cutting out all foods that can lead to weight gains, such as sugary snacks and unhealthy desserts.

As a diet, it is restrictive, but you won’t ever feel as though you can’t eat enough. As you’re only eating raw fruits and vegetables, you’ll be able to eat as many as you need to feel full. You’ll never have to count calories or check that a food is ‘right’ for your diet before you eat it. If you can eat it without having to cook it, it’s probably fair game.

As you’re eating your foods raw, you’ll be gaining more nutrition from them. Cooking vegetables can often remove some of the most valuable vitamins and fiber from it, so by eating it raw, you’re getting the maximum nutrition from your meals.

What Are The Drawbacks?

As with most diets, there are a few drawbacks that you’ll have to deal with. For some people, they won’t be a big deal, but for others, they may be a total turnoff.

For example, as mentioned earlier the diet is by its very nature restrictive. You’ll find that there’s a lot you just can’t eat. Even healthier foods can be off limits, as they need to be cooked before you can eat them. Many people find the diet isn’t for them, as they can’t live with eating the same things day in, day out.

As well as this, there are some foods that are actually harmful if eaten raw. Vegetables such as parsnips, beans, and mushrooms can actually contain toxins if you eat them raw. If you’re going to consume these, you need to cook them.

On the raw food diet, you will lose weight. However, you’ll need to monitor your weight loss as too much, too quickly can be bad for you. In fact, in some women, they can even suffer from amenorrhea, which is the disruption of the menstrual cycle.

Should You Try The Raw Food Diet?

Pembroke Pines organic produce storeThere are a lot of benefits to the raw food diet, so should you give it a go? I very much depends on whether you’re happy to make the sacrifices it requires. If you’re already vegetarian or vegan, then you’re going to certainly find it easier. It’s going to change the way you prepare your food, but you’ll get more value from what you eat.

If you’re unsure, it’s a good idea to check out what your local organic health store Pembroke Pines can offer you. Their staff can advise you on the best foods to eat raw, and their organic lines mean you’ll be eating the healthiest food possible.

If you do decide to go down this path, you don’t actually have to go 100% raw. You can stick to about 75% raw foods, keeping the other 25% for healthy cooked foods such as fish or eggs. People who talk about raw food can make you feel as though it’s all or nothing, but in fact, you can eat as much raw food as you want, and substitute the rest.

There are all kinds of reasons why you should give the raw food diet a go. Head to your Pembroke Pines organic produce store and load up on foods that are healthier for you when eaten raw. As long as you’re washing your food before you eat it, it’s safe and good for you. The diet can help you get healthy and lose weight, so it’s certainly worth trying for yourself.