We love #tacotuesday just as much as everybody else, but when you’re keto, it’s not easy to partake in the tradition. Sure, lettuce, collard greens, kale, or cabbage cups topped with meat, pico de gallo, guac, and cilantro provide great substitutes, as does pan-fried shredded cheese or thin omelette-like crepes. But another creative grain-filled tortilla replacement: Use a pitted avocado. Dispense with the guacamole, use a freshly cut avocado spritzed with a bit of lime juice as a boat for taco-spiced ground meat, diced tomatoes, queso blanco (if you eat dairy), and a two-ingredient creamy sauce made with lime juice and mayo.
To make vegan keto avocado tacos, instead of the ground meat, substitute:
- mashed lupini beans (these have about 13 grams of protein and 6 grams of net carbs per half cup)
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds mixed with 1/4 cup pepitas (about 18 grams of protein and 4 grams of net carbs)
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 pound ground bison (or any ground meat of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons keto-friendly taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 3 avocados
- 1 medium tomato
- 6 tablespoons queso blanco or feta cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Add ground meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula. Cook until browned, about 7 to 8 minutes, breaking up any big chunks as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Remove the cooked meat from the skillet on a kitchen towel-lined plate to drain. Turn stove off.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatoes in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Dice tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, add mayo and juice from 1 lime. Stir together until combined.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits. Spritz each avocado half with lime juice to prevent them from browning.
- Plate the avocados and spoon about 1/4 cup of meat (or any vegan protein source listed above) on each sliced avocado.
- Top each avocado taco with a sprinkle of diced tomatoes, about a tablespoon of queso blanco (if using), a bit of chopped cilantro, and the creamy sauce.
Keto-Friendly Taco Seasoning
Time: 2 minutes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/8 cup ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika or chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro or oregano
- Combine all ingredients in a small mason jar. Screw lid on tightly. Shake to combine. Store in a cool, dry cupboard.
Nutrition info (per serving; 1/2 avocado with toppings):
Carbs: 8 grams
Protein: 20 grams
Fat: 30 grams
See the original post from PRIMAL KITCHEN.