Healthy eating can feel like a real minefield. You know you need to be eating healthier foods, but how do you know what you should and shouldn’t eat? There’s plenty of foods in your supermarket that looks healthy but hide all kinds of sins that you want to avoid.
The best place to start is by knowing what vitamins you need to be eating. If you can find the foods that contain them, then you’re off to a good start. Here’s what you should be looking for, and the foods that are best for you to eat. Take a look at your Pembroke Pines organic produce store to find them.
The Vitamins You Should Be Looking For
It can feel confusing once you start thinking about vitamins. There’s so many, which ones are the ones you really need? Here’s a quick rundown of what you should be eating every day in regards to vitamins:
- Vitamin A: This is essential for maintaining good eye health. It also helps in maintaining healthy teeth and skin.
- B Vitamins: These are needed to help you produce energy, absorb iron and improve your immune system.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is needed for its antioxidant properties, as well as being able to strengthen your skin and give it elasticity. It also helps with iron absorption too.
- Vitamin D: This is the vitamin you want in your diet to promote healthy bones.
- Vitamin E: If you’re having problems with blood circulation, this is the vitamin you need. It also helps protect you from free radicals.
- Vitamin K: This helps with blood coagulation, i.e. helping your blood clot when needed.
Foods You Need In Your Diet
Ok, so you know which vitamins you need in your diet. Where do you find them? Here’s a handy list you can take into an organic health shop Pembroke Pines:
- Carrots and other orange vegetables: These vegetables are given their pigment by carotene, which shows that they’re full of vitamin A. Sweet potato and cantaloupe melons are other greats sources of Vitamin A.
- Whole unprocessed foods: These can include whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils, chili peppers, beans, yeast, and molasses. These are all a great source of Vitamin B.
- Oranges and other fruits: These are, of course, packed full of Vitamin C. Other fruits you can try include guava, red and green peppers, kiwi, grapefruit, and strawberries.
- Eggs, fish, and mushrooms: These foods are a source of Vitamin D, so make sure they’re included in your diet. Of course, you can also get a dose of it by spending time out in the sun!
- Almonds: These are a fantastic source of Vitamin E, so grab a scoop of these when you go shopping. If almonds aren’t your thing, you can try other nuts, sunflower seeds, and tomatoes.
- Leafy greens: These are the best way to get Vitamin K into your diet. Load up on spinach, kale, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli to make sure you’re eating enough of this vitamin.
Don’t Forget The Minerals
Of course, it’s not just vitamins that you need in your diet to keep you healthy. There are a few minerals too you need to keep in your diet to keep yourself in tip-top condition.
These include folic acid, that helps with cell renewal and can be found in dark leafy greens and all kinds of vegetables. There’s also calcium, which you know is good for your bones and can be found in dairy products. Keep an eye out for clams and oysters too, as they’re an amazing source of iron which helps you build your muscles and maintain healthy blood.
Find The Foods That You Like Best
Now you know what foods you need to be eating to take in all the right vitamins, you need to find the right place to start buying them. Your local supermarket will have a lot of the right foods, so take a look around when you’re there and start picking up healthier options. It can feel difficult at first, resisting the cheaper and unhealthier options, but once you start doing it you’ll feel the benefit almost instantly.
If you need some help in supplementing your diet, that’s where we here at Nutrition Smart can help you. We carry all kinds of health supplements, so you can pick up what you need to stay strong and healthy. If you’re not sure what you need, come in and chat with us. We’ll help you pick out supplements that will complement your diet and help you get the most out of it.
Now you know which vitamins are needed in your everyday diet, so you can start picking them up whether they’re in your food, or in supplements.